Philantha Kon, M.D., Ph.D.
About Dr. Kon
Dr. Kon believes in personalized and whole-person care and provides comprehensive psychotherapeutic services using a bio-psycho-social approach. She provides consultations and individual and family therapy involving a variety of psychotherapeutic modalities and, if needed, the prescription and management of psychotropic medications.
Dr. Kon has extensive experience working with toddlers, children, teens, and adults. She also has interest in assisting with school, cross-cultural, social skills, parenting, and family issues. She takes pride in her personable style and her ability to build rapport with both individuals and families, children and adults. Dr. Kon is committed to mental health awareness and psychoeducation and has a special research background on the impact of the media on youth health behaviors. She also has particular interest in treating anxiety disorders, female mood disorders, eating disorders, and trauma.
Dr. Kon believes that collaboration is often necessary for optimal care and is well-connected with community resources including intensive outpatient programs and social skills and parenting groups. She has established relationships with clinical specialists in psychiatry, pediatrics, neurology, family medicine, clinical psychology, and educational consultation at UCLA, USC, Cedars-Sinai, and throughout the Southern California area. She is committed to using her experience, education, interests, and knowledge to provide the best possible care.
In order to provide the highest quality of personalized attention to each patient, Dr. Kon is not contracted with any insurance carrier and is considered an "out of network" provider. Being free from insurance demands allows Dr. Kon to focus solely on patient care and gives her time for collaboration with family members and other providers throughout the treatment process.
- Pomona College - Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Religion & Literature
- USC School of Cinema-Television - Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Critical Studies. Research Focus: "Popular Culture and the Media's Effects on Youth Health Behaviors"
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine - Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
- University of California Irvine Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry & Human Behavior: General Psychiatry Residency Training
- UCLA Medical Center, NPI-Semel Institute for Neuroscience & Human Behavior: Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Subspecialty Fellowship Training
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, NPI-Semel Institute for Neuroscience & Human Behavior
- Medical Director, Of One Mind Behavioral Health Outpatient Program
- Psychiatrist, Children's Institute, Los Angeles
- Psychiatrist, Aviva Family & Children's Services, Los Angeles
- Medical Liaison, International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals, Los Angeles Chapter
- Media Committee, American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Licensure & Certificates
- Board Certified, Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- Physician and Surgeon, Medical Board of California
- Controlled Substance Registration Certificate, US Drug Enforcement Administration
Professional Memberships & Associations
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Southern California Society of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Medical Association
- Psychiatric Clinical Faculty Association
Awards & Honors
- Nomination for The Association of Women Psychiatrists’ Leah J. Dickstein, M.D. Award
- Outstanding Resident Award, UC Irvine Department of Psychiatry & Human Behavior